Another delayed post… but interesting all the same. I hope they are helpful to someone and of nothing else, a wonderful record of times when the kids and I had fun learning about something new and just a bit unique.
While 2014 has not had us digging deep into the dinosaur world like we have, we did find the time to learn all about this Australian herbivore. The Minmi is named after a water body in Australia and is one of the most complete sets of fossils. Things like stomach content, skin texture and all sorts of fine details are saved in the fossils. It is believed that this dinosaur was often washed to sea and preserved as it was definitely a 4 legged land mammal.
Emanuel found this dinosaur most interesting due to its many armored plates and its obvious herbivore nature. We had a great discussion about where Australia is and how this was NOT a large armored dinosaur. Now we did have a rather interesting video by La Trobe University. Australian Dinosaur – Minmi.
And the links were actually plentiful on this dinosaur:
- EnchantedLearning HERE
- Australian Museum HERE
- Age of Dinosaurs HERE
- Find the Best has a great picture HERE
- Dinosaur of the Week HERE
- KidsDinos.com HERE
- The National Dinosaur Museum has a lengthy article HERE
- Wiki has their article HERE
- We got our picture off of deviantArt by hyphenatedsuperhero HERE
- We FOUND this dinosaur in a library book – The Big Book of Dinosaurs by DK.